White Chocolate Coffee 3 Tier Cake
Prep time: 30 min
Cooking time: 40 min
Chilling time: 2 hours
Ingredients for sponge:
- 140g white chocolate
- 350ml (1½ cups) milk
- 1 tbsp coffee powder
- 300g (2½ cups) plain flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 180g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1½ sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for white chocolate ganache:
- 450g white chocolate finely chopped
- 150g cream
Ingredients for coffee buttercream:
- 3 large egg whites
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 360g (1½ cups) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp coffee powder
Method for sponge:
- Heat milk and chocolate until melted and combined. Add espresso powder and stir until dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Line with parchment three 15cm cake round moulds, grease and flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on med-high until pale and fluffy (approx 3 mins). Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time fully incorporating after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour (4 additions of flour and 3 of milk).
- Bake for about 40mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out mostly clean.
- Place cakes on wire rack to cool for 10mins then turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.
- Place chopped chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 5-10 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth and combined. Set aside to cool completely and thicken.
- Remove 2/3 cup of the thickened white chocolate ganache, set aside. Whip remaining ganache until light and fluffy.
Method for ganache:
- Heat the cream in a bowl with with chopped white chocolate. Mix well until well combined and set aside to cool completely and thicken.
- Whisk the ganache for 5-10 minutes until thick and fluffy.
Method for coffee buttercream:
- If your instant espresso is not a superfine powder, we recommend mixing the instant coffee granules (2 tbsp) with the boiling water (1 tbsp) and then set aside to cool.
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.
- Cut the butter into cubes and then beat on a low-medium speed until soft. Gradually add the icing sugar (you add it gradually to stop it flying everywhere) and beat until fully combined.
- Add the coffee, a teaspoon at a time, beating in each addition before adding more.
- Check the consistency of your buttercream. It should be soft and perfect for piping at this point. If it’s still a little stiff then incorporate in a little milk.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or plate. Top with half of the whipped ganache, spread evenly. Repeat with remaining layers and coat the cake with any remaining ganache. Chill for 20mins until ganache is set.
- Smooth the sides with the espresso buttercream. Chill for 30mins until frosting is cold and firm.
- If you would like a drip decoration, microwave the some of the ganache at very small increments (3 seconds) to thin out. Using a small spoon, place dollops of white chocolate ganache around the top edges of the cake, allowing some to drip down. Fill in the top of the cake with more ganache and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle some coffee powder or chopped walnuts on top for decoration. You can also create a rope decoration along the rim using a pipping bag.
Why gift Melt Chocolates?
All our chocolates are beautifully handmade by our award-winning chocolatiers.
Fresh from Notting Hill using natural ingredients.
Our sublime chocolates stay delicious for weeks.
You can add a gift message for the lucky recipient at checkout - personalising your gift.
We beautifully package our orders with care, so they arrive safely in plastic free packaging.
WHY FRESH IS BETTER…
Melt’s chocolates are freshly made in our Notting Hill and Holland Park kitchens by our world-class chocolatiers.
Because our chocolates are fresh, handcrafted and we use the best natural ingredients we can reduce the sugar content, artificial flavours, stabilisers and other chemical preservatives.
This means our chocolates taste sensational-unlike chocolates you have ever tasted before. Fresh natural ingredients are best for taste and for your health.
The handmade chocolates are some of the best we’ve tasted – we’ve come to expect nothing less of Melt London.
- The Independent
A favourite in the West End, Melt is a charming and chic boutique that specialises in fresh handmade chocolates, carefully crafted by world-class chocolatiers.
- Evening Standard
Melt gift boxes are completely plastic-free as we care about our environment and our oceans. Gift a pristine ocean to our children by reducing single-use plastic packaging – Melt has been at the vanguard of this movement for over 15 years. We deliver our online chocolates with an electric zero-emissions van.